The purpose of the organization is to recognize excellence in academic achievement by undergraduate students in the fields of political science, government, and international and public affairs; to stimulate scholarship and interest in political science; to promote worthwhile curricular and extracurricular activities related to political science; to promote civil dialogue; and to engage in any other activities that further these purposes.
- Meet fellow students in your major: The Pi Chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha is run by Political Science majors for Political Science majors. We organize a variety of social activities and this is the perfect place to meet students with similar interests.
- Meet with faculty: We host a variety of dinners and forums with faculty from the Political Science Department. This is an excellent opportunity to get to know your professors, discuss interesting topics, and get some great food!
- Get involved: We are dedicated to being active and positive members of the campus community. We seek to be involved in a variety of service projects.
- Gain Leadership Experience: We encourage members to get involved in helping us plan and organize our activities. We provide valuable opportunities for members to become an organizer or chapter officer.
- Get employed: The Pi Chapter of Pi Sigma Alpha is a nationally recognized and respected honor society with alumni working in a variety of fields. Membership in Pi Sigma Alpha places you among thousands of talented, passionate, and successful members around the world, strengthening your resume and career outlook.
Some tangible benefits include:
- The opportunity for members to apply for federal government positions listed at a higher entry-level grade than non-member candidates due to Pi Sigma Alpha’s membership in the Association of College Honor Societies.
- The opportunity for members to apply for the Pi Sigma Alpha/Howard Penniman Scholarships for Graduate Study in Political Science, the Nancy McManus Washington Internship Scholarships, and for Best Paper Awards.
- Automatic tuition reductions for Washington internship programs conducted by the Washington Internship Institute, the Fund for American Studies, and The Washington Center
- The opportunity to win an award from the National Office for a one-year membership in the American Political Science Organization.
- Discounts on Princeton Review test prep courses.
- Discounts on Geico insurance products.
For more information about why to join Pi Sigma Alpha, check out the national Pi Sigma Alpha website!